07 December 2006
love thursday: luna

One August evening I came home to find P making dinner, a little annoyed that I was late. Oops! Using my sweetest voice, I asked what was cooking.

P: Ti piace il cane? (Do you like the dog?)


Me: Whahuh? (Whahuh?)


He pointed under the table, and there was a real live caramel-colored pooch with big brown eyes staring at me.

About a year before, I had taken in a stray, but he had passed away the previous week. The last thing I expected in the house was a puppy, especially since I insisted I wasn't ready for another one just yet, that I needed time to heal.


I was wrong.

P knew I couldn't live without a dog for too long, so he went and rescued this pup from a family that had been calling her "Nessuna"--Nobody.

What's that sound? Your heart breaking?


I squatted down to look Luna in the eyes (P had already renamed her), to which she responded "Grrrrrrr." How cute.

I told him to take her back.

I was joking, of course, but only half-heartedly. Dogs always love me! What was her problem?


After dinner, P went out for coffee, but I didn't want to leave Luna alone so we stayed home. Together. Just the two of us. She was still growling a bit as I pulled her up onto my lap, but I held her close, spoke in a soft, annoying baby voice, and scratched under her chin.


About ten minutes later, I called P.


Me: Sono innamorata! (I'm in love!)


P: Grazie. Anch'io. (Thanks. Me too.)


Me: No, di Luna. (No, with Luna.)


Ever since I saw "Love Thursday" on
italian trivia (Jennifer discovered it on Karen's Chookooloonks), I wanted to play, too. So here's my first installment, posting the love encompassed in this sweet face looking up at me every morning.


I love my Luna Balloona.


Labels: ,



9 Comments:

Blogger Aurora said...

Ahhhhh I finally learned how to post a comment. I'm making progress on learning web stuff being impaired as I am at these things. Luna is so cute. I love dogs too. I also love cats but they tend to get killed easily here by the speed demons.;-( I'll have to try that bean recipe. Have a good weekend and take care.

Aurora

Blogger Shirley said...

Wow, thats so sweet of 'p',you are very lucky.

Aurora, brava! Stai imparando ogni giorno! Be careful with the beans--down in Reggio, they may not appreciate that the recipe comes from so far away (where's the rolling eyes emoticon when I need it?).

Shirley, thanks for stopping by. P is rather sweet for being such a Calabrese tough guy. I've been reading your blog for a while, btw, just haven't commented. I'll be adding you to my list shortly :)

Blogger Jennifer said...

Aww. What a sweetheart.

Blogger Elle said...

I love those ears.

I have a real thing for dog ears, they are so soft. I find it so comforting to run them between my fingers :P

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, your dog is absolutely beautiful. In a way, she reminds me of Basenji dogs.

So I have to ask ... does she bark or yodel? Basenji dogs cannot bark per se, but they apparently yodel. I wonder if your dog can yodel. :)

*Hugs* to you both. :)

Michelle, you're right! She does look like a Basenji! And now that I've read more about them, she has a lot of their personality as well...who knew?!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love at first growl?

Hee hee. Yes, I suppose you could say that ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer