12 February 2007
2000 bloggers--unite!
I first heard about the 2000 bloggers project about a week ago and have watched the whole drama unfold with great interest--not with quite the same level of interest I have in what the hell will happen with Anna Nicole Smith's estate, but then again, I'm still a law dog at heart, so you can't blame me for that.

The 2000 blogger project started when a creative chap named Tino Buntic thought it would be cool to throw together bloggers from all walks of life into a photo/blog montage; he set the limit at 2000 and had only two requirements: (1) The blog must've existed prior to Januray 1, 2007; and (2) There must be a photo of the blogger somewhere on the blog.

Everything went along smoothly until Technorati got involved once it noticed that linked bloggers' rankings were being skewed by their participate in the project. So Technorati got a little angry, and fixed the system so that these links wouldn't count in the tallies.

Yes, I realize that many people live and die (although hopefully not die) with their rankings, but for me personally, I thought the 2000 blogger project would be a unique way to become part of a blogging network that wasn't just focused on one thing--expats, women, knitting, etc. All of those are great, too, but I kind of liked the randomness of it all.

And the photo collage is just too cool for school.

Tino is still on the project as a site editor, but the whole thing has been picked up by an extremely dedicated (and perhaps slightly crazy in a good way) Elaine Vigneault. There's now a website with introductions of the members and a nice little community of bloggers in the works. No one knows at this point what 2000 bloggers could become, but at the very least, it's a place where you can go and find something new to read for a long, long time coming.

Point? I joined. As I write this, I was the last one added so my mug is rather obvious on the montage, but that will change; there are still spaces left if anyone else would like to be part of the 2000.

Won't you be my neighbor?

Labels:



6 Comments:

Blogger Waspgoddess said...

I think this is a great idea, I love the idea of a big giant photo collage. And so part of me would love to take part, but then there is another part of me which likes to hide my face... I'm a little torn, but think I'll just enjoy watching from the sidelines for the time being.

Meanwhile Valentine's is on my mind (also rendering me pretty divided). Do they celebrate it in Calabria?

Blogger The Other Girl said...

The hiding my face thing is what keeps me away as well. Well, it's mainly my ears, which is why I wear the hat.

Blogger Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Wow, very cool, indeed! I'll have to check it out! =D

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for coming by my blog. We expats needs to stick togehter :)! I went and signed up on the 2000 faces, I think it is a great idea!! I like discovering new blogs too!

Blogger nikinpos said...

I joined a couple of weeks ago, and now I can't even find myself on it!

I understand about the picture thing; I thought a long time about whether I'd want to be ID'd or not. Can't say why I eventually went with the pic as I suppose it just felt appropriate.

For those who will participate, I'll be looking foryou. And Niki, I hope you've found yourself again!

Waspgoddess, yes, we have Valentine's Day here--San Valentino! It's (of course) not *as *commercialized as some other countries, but they still sell all kinds of sappy stuff ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer