20 February 2007
back and to the left

I'm a conspiracy theorist. I love conspiracies of any sort about any topic.
Not saying I believe in all of them, but they sure make for interesting reading and lively discussions.

Living in southern Italy has only amplified this fascination as I'm constantly being told to never trust anyone--above all "lo Stato." I've always been an annoying, questioning type, so at least in this regard, the transition hasn't been a tough one. Whether the attitude of non-trust is Italian, southern Italian, both, or neither is worthy of an entire other post, but for now, I'm just going to share the latest in a 44-year-old murder investigation at the center of my favorite conspiracy theory.


There's a new video showing JFK moments before the assassination. Apparently the big development is that President Kennedy's jacket was bunched up in a way that could further call into question the Warren Commission's assertion that only three shots were fired.

Quick show of hands: Does anyone *really* still believe the Warren Commission's report? OK, Senator Specter. You can put your hand down. Now please put your Magic Bullet to rest and redeem yourself by getting habeas corpus rights back for detainees.

Despite not being born until 13 years after JFK's assassination, I've always been fascinated by this particular conspiracy. In fact, back in the States, I have a rather respectable collection of books and articles written on JFK's life and death, his presidency, and his brother Bobby's 1968 murder, which I really hope will make it here one day. Ah, the joys of an international move.

Maybe some of you are thinking "Hey, this dude's been dead for almost half a century. Can't we just move on?"

Quite simply, no.

Ever hear the saying about those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it? How is it possible that
our government has been able to cover up the truth about what happened on and around November 22, 1963 for so long--all while under extreme scrutiny regarding the case?

The President of the United States, in a car with his wife, was murdered in broad daylight in the middle of an American city while surrounded by Secret Service agents.

Can you imagine what they do when we're not looking?

-President John F. Kennnedy, Speech to United Nations Assembly
September 25, 1961

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, love a good conspiracy theory. The JFK one is probably my favorite.

Senator Spector is, and always has been, a fool. One bullet made that many turns and still looks almost pristine. Idiot.

I've never been convinced of that idea. Maybe because I've actually shot a gun? I've also never been convinced that there were only three shots, that came from one place.

I've never been able to figure out why, after warnings, the President was allowed to ride in an open car. Or, for that matter, why the motorcade was needed in the first place. That probably comes from being born into a security conscious world, I guess. Eighteen years after that assasination.

You are correct, those that fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it. Can anyone say Nazi Germany? But that's a whole other topic.

Thanks for kick-starting my brain! Now, where's this cooking Wednesday...
:)

Blogger BecsLifeOnline said...

Ooh ooh me too! I LOVE conspiracy theories!!! There's a good book called something along the lines of "The greatest conspiracy theories of all time." I just might have to purchase it ha ha.

Blogger Paul Daniel Ash said...

This one is kind of the mother of all conspiracy theories, because it seems like so many negative things, in the USA and the world, developed in the wake of that sad November day.

Would we have had Vietnam of JFK had lived? Some say no... and would have there been Nixon without Vietnam? Watergate without Nixon? Carter without Watergate? Reagan without Carter? And so on, right up to Abu Ghraib and Britney Spears... all in an unbroken chain back to the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer