02 June 2007
just lion around

My new friend Seamus Kearney of Shameless Words has begun a writing circle.

Blah blah blah, happens every day right?

Uh huh. Did I mention there are lions?

The one and only Shameless Lions Writing Circle, in the words of Seamus, "aims to bring a lion's prestige and pride to some lucky creative writing and books blogs."
Seamus selected 48 lions for adoption, and as I type this, 28 have been adopted, so if you're a writer and/or avid reader and want to be involved, go here to see what this is all about.

In short, you'll be able to choose, adopt, and name your lion, and then you will be invited to write a piece of poetry or prose inspired by him or her, maximum 48 words, to post on your blog. It's a great way to connect to other writers and wordlovers, so even if you won't be joining the circle, I do recommend checking out the participants' lion-inspired verses.

And now, without further ado, I am pleased to introduce Leonardo:


You never believe me,
but fine.


He stopped,
squished his nose against the glass,
blinked,
pulled back,
shook his mane,
and strutted away,
leaving me to wonder how his heart
ended up on his sleeve.


Oh yeah?

Did to.

Then how do you explain that nose-shaped smear?

Labels: ,



19 Comments:

Blogger S. Kearney said...

This is wonderful Sognatrice! :) Your lion looks right at home and your poem is great.

Blogger Sharon said...

I can't say I like poetry but yours was just (w)ri(te)ght. Cute but not too cute.

Blogger Suganya said...

That's really excellent......So cute..

Blogger jennifer said...

I've missed reading your writing the last couple of days- thanks for returning, and for your poetry. I like Leonardo.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leonardo is a sharp looking lion.
What a great idea for a group activity, and what a job you did with the poem.
I never would have thought of something so clever.
--Frances

Blogger Erin said...

That is great! Love the lion, love the poem. What a cool idea. Have a great day!

Shameless, I'm so happy you approve! I think Leonardo will be very happy here just as soon as I work him into my sidebar. He feels a little temporary right now ;)

Sharon, thanks. To be honest, I don't write poetry ever. But when we were hit with the 48 word limit, I wrote this out and then saw that it would work OK in poem form as well. Or at least I thought!

Sukanya, glad you liked it!

Jennifer, how wonderful to be missed! Leonardo likes you too ;)

Frances, thank you for your kind words; after I read some of the other wonderful, deep lion-inspired verse, I knew I couldn't compete, so I had to keep mine pretty light ;)

Erin, thanks! As Leo is my new writing mascot, you'll be seeing him in the sidebar soon :)

Blogger somepinkflowers said...

you picked a grand lion!
with that fine tail
you sort of got
2-beasties-for-1-poem,
i think.

Poem-Perfect last line!

who could argue with that proof?

Somepinkflowers, I rather enjoy Leo's tail as well. Seamus has a great collection of lions, so I do recommend visiting all of them :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! I love it.

So what's the story with the lions? They remind me of some traveling cows I met once, one of which currently grazes in a front yard right here in my town.

Sara, the lions are from The Lions of Lyon series by Seamus (Shameless). Those cows are really something; you're very lucky to have one so near!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this project and your lion-y words are perfect. What fun this whole idea is.

Ally, thanks! It's been a lot of fun so far, and I can't wait to see where we're headed. I hope you've checked out the other lions :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THat was one good poem! Thanks to you, I adopted a lion(ess) too.

Come meet her!

Gautami, I'm so happy you've joined the circle! She's beautiful :)

Blogger Roary Lyon said...

Hi, would you please pass this note along to Leonardo? I invite him to come visit me on my new blog, The Literary Lion of Lyon. He would probably recognize me from the blog’s title, but tell him Roary sent the invitation. Thanks.

Roary ^..^

Roary, what a beautiful site! Signed, a very jealous Leonardo

This is charming!

Everyone has a heart-shaped smear somewhere, but few are brave enough to display it.

Congratulations on your prize.

Thanks Heart! Leo is quite brave, isn't he? I can't wait until he spills his story....

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer