30 December 2007
year end meme

In Thoughts of You by Jack VettrianoWhat's the end of a year without a little reflection on what's happened, where we've been, and what we've done?

Well over at Sundry Mourning, there's a little tradition of the Year End meme, first copied from Gwen's Petty, Judgmental, Evil Thoughts back in 2004.

I filled it out last year, which you can find here, and now it's time to look back on 2007.

Feel free to play along and let me know where to find you!


1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Raised puppies from birth, dyed my hair, made Christmas cookies on a wide scale, used a cookie press, slept in a bed & breakfast (Hi Cherrye!), made money from my blog, became a professional blogger, sent out Italian Christmas cards, made hummus, made bagels, acted as an interpreter, wrote 25,0o0 words in a month.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Don't make 'em; can't break 'em. I might make some this year, though, just to mix things up. We'll see.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No family or close friends, but some blog friends--and a whole lot of expats in Italy are preggers now, quite a few due any day!


4. Did anyone close to you die? My great-aunt's daughter Jeanie as I wrote about here and my mom's friend Kitty who was like a grandmother to me and who I wrote about here.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just Italia.


6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More writing gigs as always, and a book contract wouldn't suck either. Ooh, and a real vacation.


7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 20 birth of the puppies. I think that's all.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably the development of this blog and its amazing community. I'm also pretty proud of losing more weight and maintaining it--aah, and finding a pair of pants in Italy that fit me and that I like! Woohoo!


9. What was your biggest failure?
It's not really my personal failure, but I had hoped to be in the new house by now.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Only recently with a nasty stomach virus followed up by a sinus infection. Love being sick over the holidays!

11. What was the best thing you bought? My ADSL contract with Telecom (although it *does* have its issues).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I said my doggie Luna last year, and I'm going with her again but for different reasons. This year she accepted a new dog in the house followed by six puppies--all in stride. She's such a trooper.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Going with the Bush administration again on this one. Can't wait to have a new administration to be appalled and depressed by.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Internet and phone bills (but so worth it), just like last year.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The camera from Salena--I'm *still* really, really, really excited about that.


16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Geez probably the theme songs from Gilmore Girls, The O.C., and Veronica Mars since they've served as my background noise most of the year.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
Hmm, I'd say happier, a few pounds lighter, and there's money in the bank--I'm richer (although "rich" is a strong word).


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Yoga and fiction writing.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Anything other than fiction writing.


20. How did you spend Christmas? With P and his parents for the first half and then cradling my throbbing face for the second half. Fun times.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Have you seen the puppies?

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Lost!


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't hate the players, just the game sometimes.


24. What was the best book you read? Ooh, tough one. Eat Pray Love sticks out.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Adriano Celentano although it's not so much a discovery as a more intense dedication. Love that voice.


26. What did you want and get?
An expansion of my writing career.


27. What did you want and not get?
To be in the new house by Christmas.


28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Haven't seen anything new in a long time. Favorite new-to-me film? Pirates of the Caribbean. Just when I thought I couldn't love Johnny Depp more.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and honestly, I don't remember what happened--a sure sign of getting old as it was only two months ago.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Same answer as last year: if someone in my family or close circle of friends from home would have visited or if I would’ve been able to go home.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Comfortable is key.

32. What kept you sane?
The Internet, fellow expats, blogs, emails, phone calls, and my writing.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I've enjoyed Milo Ventimiglia despite the fact that P won't let me watch Heroes. Have to get my Milo fix via GG.


34. What political issue stirred you the most? The concept of universal health care versus how it's carried out in certain (ahem) countries.

35. Who did you miss? My family and my girlfriends from home more than ever.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Lots of online buddies, of course, but in person, one of my students who has become a friend.


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
A positive attitude positively makes a positive difference.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. With the risk of getting (a lot) sappy, it's hard to put into words how much this past year of my life has been enriched by all of you who take the time to read, comment, write, and share your lives through these Internets. And so, from Natalie Merchant:

You've been so kind and generous
I don't know how you keep on giving

For your kindness I'm in debt to you

For your selflessness my admiration
For everything you've done you know I'm bound
I'm bound to thank you for it.

And how was your year?

Labels: ,



37 Comments:

Blogger BipolarLawyerCook said...

Oh, I like this list, and I love Natalie Merchant. If I could pick someone to sing me to sleep when I am sick, it would be her.

Blogger Wicked H said...

Wishing you continued happiness, good health, much wealth and at least one visit from a family member in 2008.

Hugs!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice way of getting to know you a little more. No wonder all of us ex pats are writing blogs like crazy...missing those girlfriends and such from back home. I can completely relate!
Wishing you "sogni d'oro" and much more.

Blogger Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Hi Well THANKS for your great blog last year I look forewards to some more, I have done many many things but I am glad I did them all, most and best is my photograhy development, I grew some more I mean.. With YOUR help and from other blogreaders:)

I wish You a Happy and Creative 2008, Look at my Happy fireworks and wishes. See my blog:)(c) JoAnn

Blogger Gil said...

That picture reminds me of the poster of the dying (anorexic) model that was posted in Milan a few months back or maybe that sick looking Amy Winehouse.

Happy New Year!!!

Blogger The Daily Rant said...

I love this list and I'm DEFINITELY stealing it to do on my blog! You always have such great things going on in your life and I love "living" in a small town in Italy via you.

Can't wait to get out there to visit - I hope 2008 is the year since 2007 wasn't.

The pictures are great and I enjoy seeing so much of your village when you get around to posting them, What's Cooking Wednesday is also a favorite of mine - can't wait till I have the chance to make some of the recipes I have saved.

Looking forward to 2008! The best of all to you and P (and the puppies and other four legged creatures!)

Ciao,

Salena

Blogger Ryan said...

you inspired me again. im going to write one tomorrow... :)

Blogger Jeni said...

Great post - but then, you do a really terrific job with the blog so one wouldn't expect anything different than the best! Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year ahead in 2008! Lots of writing -eh?

Blogger Annika said...

I participated last year and I've done it again :) Cheers to 2008 - may every new year be even better than the last! Happy New Year Michelle!

Blogger somepinkflowers said...

just had to sneak in here
and
tell you *thanks*
for reviewing
~the daring book for girls~
here a few weeks ago...

:-)

soccer rules on one page,
palm reading on the next!

loved it,
bought it,
read it,
gave it...

thanks!

*BLC, Natalie lover here too. She's my go-to voice when times are tough as well.

*Wicked H, thanks, and I *think* we just may have some visitors this year :)

*Pasticerra, missing my girlfriends is definitely one the hardest parts of living abroad. Sogni d'oro anche a te :)

*JoAnn, it's always wonderful to hear from you! Happy new year!

*Gil, aw, she's just thinking about what she should eat ;)

*Salena, thanks so much for your kind words and continue support. And for the camera ;) Hope to meet you soon!

*Ryan, can't wait to read it!

*Jeni, thanks, and let's *hope* for lots more writing in 2008!

*Annika, woohoo! Glad you played along. Buon anno :)

*SPF, the pleasure was all mine :) Happy new year!

Blogger Unknown said...

I was glad to find this luscious meme on your blog. You can find mine here.

Best wishes on your amazing blog, and for more fiction writing. I am working on that as well!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic meme. I'm so glad we connected this year! Congratulations on all of your success and continued love, health and prosperity to you in 2008.

xxoo,
Nino

Blogger Fran said...

T love your list....Thank you for a wonderful year! I look forward to it every day and it is always on my "first thing in the morning" blogs to check. And I am so glad you are making some money from it. I predict one day I will be able to say that I read her blog before she became famous!

Hope you are feeling better! Love to all...

Fran

*Novel Nymph, excellent meme--and happy writing in 2008 :)

*Nino, same here, and I wish you and yours more of the same as well :)

*Fran, you always know how to make me smile. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Happy 2008!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hugs* and *Happy New Year* from North Carolina. :) :) :) :)

Blogger Eryn said...

missed your blog while you were gone!

i can definitely bond with you over your tv shows of choice.....especially Lost and Veronica Mars.

I got Alex season 1 of Heroes for Christmas and now I'm hooked....definitely start watching!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot to think about! Great questions!

Blogger Janet said...

I'm so with you on #28!!! He's amazing :-) Wait til you see Sweeney Todd!!!

Why won't P let you watch Heroes?

I did an end of year meme, too :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this meme! Happy 2008!

Also - I totally love that Natalie Merchant song. I danced with my dad to it at my wedding! :)

Blogger Susan said...

Here's to increasing our fiction writing output in '08. And, yeah, book deals really wouldn't suck at all :)

Have a Happy New Year -- you're close to midnight now, so cheers!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is just about the most perfect blog out here, I must say. Congratulations. Though, I must admit, I would love to see more original fiction here. Whattaya say?

Have a wonderful new year. All the best to all your best.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, my beautiful Italian friend. xo

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year, sognatrice! Here's wishing you a word-filled 2008.

Blogger Jenn said...

Enjoyed reading your list! I am going to play along and end my year with this MEME. I hope you had a great New Year's Eve. Happy 2008!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great meme!
And the puppy pics have me melting in a puddle.
I can't tell you how many times I've peeked at them!
Could you send me the questions?
I want to do a special post with them.
Much love to you and yours,
Frances

*Bunny, thanks and same to you!

*Eryn, if they'd only put Heroes on at a time when P isn't here...I think that's what I should be wishing for in 2008 ;)

*Esperando, I really enjoyed being able to look back at last year's answers, so I'll definitely keep this one in the rotation :)

*Janet, for P it's nothing really defined as to why he won't watch Heroes; he just didn't care for the first few minutes of one episode so it's been banished. I have to ease him into new TV experiences you know (Lost, for example)--although he got me into Veronica Mars so perhaps we're even.

*Lara, such a great wedding dance song! Of course Natalie Merchant could sing "blah blah blah blah" and I'd love it.

*Susan, yeah! That's the spirit! I'm off to write ;)

*David, wow, what a way to start my new year--thank you so much. And you're right. There should be more original fiction here. I'll see what I can do ;)

*Bella, thanks, and also to you and yours :)

*KG, thank you much!

*Jenn, I hope you enjoy filling it out as much as I did :)

*Frances, oh those puppies. I got an update on three of them last night...all doing well although one did have a minor illness. She's doing better, but what I loved the most was that the new "mom" (who also has 3 kids) originally wanted to keep the puppy outside all the time, but told me she was *crying* the other day when she got sick. She's totally hooked and I'm *so* happy!!!!!!!

Blogger Linda Murphy said...

Hi there! Happy New Year Sognatrice! I have been stopping by on occasion without comment, but I decided to include the year end meme on my blog. Hope you will visit and I really do enjoy your blog. Keep on writing and you do inspire confidence in my own writing, so thank you!

Linda

Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Awww, such a sweet meme! I'm glad that I found your blog this year. There's always something fun going on here. Happy New Year and all the best in 2008!

Blogger Taffiny said...

many thoughtful words, but I am stuck on...

What do you mean, you don't watch Heroes?!!

*Linda, thanks so much for reading and commenting! Can't wait to get to know you better in 2008 :)

*Anali, the feeling is mutual :)

*Taffiny, I know. I'm working on it ;)

Blogger Beatriz Macias said...

Great meme, I saw it yesterday and I just had to do it too. Thank you! Have a great year, and I will see you around the blogosphere.

That's a great list!
You have such a positive outlook.
*LOVED* your answers, especially the Johnny Depp one... ;o)-

And I am very glad for you that you are happy, healthier and wealthier than last year. I wish it for you 10 times more this year.

Big hugs,
Scarlett & V.

PS ~ I am inspired to do this meme now...

Blogger Cecilia said...

love your blog! great me me (great answers), now I have to do it! :)thank you

Blogger Jen said...

Wonderful look into your life. I may try this, too! A good way to sum things up.

*Beatriz, glad you played along!

*Scarlett, thank you for your wishes :)

*Cecilia, thanks for visiting :)

*Jen, I hope you fill it out--you'll thank yourself next year!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer