02 March 2007
you're invited to the ultimate blog party!

It's finally here, the beginning of the Ultimate Blog Party, and everyone's invited!



Now get thee to 5 Minutes for Mom to find out how you can show off your moves, mingle with other bloggers, discover new online friends, and even win prizes!

So, part of the deal is that I'm supposed to introduce myself to all the fellow party-cipants (hah!). As you can see over there on my "about me" section, I'm an American expat writer living in southern Italy. Bor-ing, I know. We expat bloggers are a dime a dozzina these days.

But there are also 100 things, another 100 things, and a "me, not me" photo meme to learn more about me too--those could keep you busy for a while.

Nothing interesting there either?

Hmm...well, just the other day, I was tagged by lovely Loulou (my first tag!) to list 5 Things No One Knows About Me. One might think that since I have previously written 200 things, posted a bunch of pictures, *and* done a 6 Weird Things About Me meme, I'd have nothing left to share.

Well, to paraphrase Bugs Bunny, "One don't know me very well, do he?"

1. I love corn on the cob (or as my niece and nephew call it "corn on the dog"), but I didn't eat it for about 15 years from the ages of 10 to 25 or so. Why? Because when I was 10, my mom and I were eating at Long John Silver's. Come on, you know you loved that batter-dipped stuff too. Anyway, I had a loose tooth and wasn't really into eating anything, but particularly those little butter-smothered corn on the cobs. But my mom made me. And my tooth came out right in between two kernels on the cob. *Big* but (I believe) completely understandable aversion to corn on the cob ensued.

2. I have never had anything professionally waxed--eyebrows, bikini line, car. Nothing. Well, paper, but that doesn't count, because it already comes that way. What about candles? Crayons? OK, you get my point.

3. I was placed on a diet by overanxious doctors when I was about 9 months old. I wasn't allowed milk or formula, only juice. I'm convinced this is why I'm short, have weak teeth, and lifelong weight issues. And probably why I never wanted to be a doctor.

4. Speaking of weight issues, I don't own a scale and have no intention of ever owning one. Even though I've recently lost weight, and I'd love to know how much, I'll just wait until I go to the doctor. I can't imagine that it would be a good thing to know my weight down to the kilo every day, which is exactly what I would do if I had a scale. I'm like that, and I know it, so it's best to avoid the whole temptation.

5. Until I was about 16 years old, I was convinced that it was the LAW that one could not drink soda before noon. This was my mom's rule, and the funny thing is that my mom is the polar opposite of a disciplinarian--this may have been her only rule come to think of it. Anyway, I really took it to heart, and to this day obey the LAW OF NO SODA BEFORE NOON.

So, regular and new readers alike, I hope you'll stick around, let me know you've stopped by, and then party on back to The Ultimate Blog Party for some more fun!

Blog party on!

Labels: , ,



41 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! So nice to meet you :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to meet you... I look forward to visiting again soon!
Happy Partying!!

Oh, enjoy an espresso for me, would ya??

Blogger Perky said...

You sound like a very funny person! I'm looking forward to reading all the things about you that I don't know yet!

The "no-soda-before-noon" thing reminds me of the time I was at college and was shocked (shocked!) to see some frat boys drinking beer one afternoon outside on their lawn. In my mind, beer was an "after-dark" beverage and I'd never seen anyone drink it outside in the sunlight before. Silly me! Wow, that was really a loooooong time ago!

Blogger Annika said...

I've never had anything waxed either!

Blogger Diane Viere said...

Really funny! Thanks for the laughs this snowy afternoon in Minnesota! We are housebound after being snowed in; more than 20 inches of snow fell over the last 24 hours!

The good news is: it's a perfect day to do a little party-hopping! So glad I found your blog. Please stop by my "party" when you get the chance....certainly, there are no rules about no soda before...anytime there. Need my Diet Coke just to get jumpstarted!

I know--I know--it's bad....but that's for another day.

Diane

Blogger Jamie said...

I am so glad I could come to your party! You have great blogs and I can't wait to come back to read some more!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long John Silver's is the most delicious guilty pleasure for me. YUMMMMMMMMMY!

I'm going to the blog party!!

Blogger heidi @ ggip said...

I'm with you on the no soft drinks before noon bit. I had to come visit you from the blog party just because of your title. Very good title....
Have a good weekend!

Blogger The Other Girl said...

My parents had me convinced that eating candy was illegal every day except Sunday. You'd think my older brother and sister would have clued me in, but noooooo. Family can be evil that way.

Blogger Unknown said...

Clever blog title. Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing some little-known facts.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Where did you manuscript page counter go? I hope you didn't give up. . . Shame on you. Get off the Internet and grab a pen. Preferably somthing cute and fun. Maybe a pretty spring color to inspire.

Blogger Katie said...

Hi, I love the title of your blog! I'm not a waxer either, but I know someone who has had pretty much everything waxed! And yes, I do mean everything! yikes!

Welcome everyone! I'm comforted that some of you were also fooled by arbitrary parental "laws" as well. Even some non-waxers *and* a LJS' lover in the bunch? Wow!

Anonymous, don't worry! The novel is still coming along, but the site that hosted the manuscript counter went down leaving an ugly mark on my sidebar...I have to find another one. I thank you much for your concern (and virtual kick in the butt) :)

Party's going on all week, so be sure to check out all the other participating bloggers!

Blogger Elizabeth said...

From your profile, I see you have read Jasper Fforde (The Eyre Affair, etc.). His funny books got me throgh a funky winter last year. (When living as an expat, I found I needed to read A LOT--do you?)

Ciao!

Blogger De said...

Great blog! Nice to meet you

Blogger D said...

Hi there! Nice to meet you. As a fellow wax virgin, I am tempted to snoop around your blog some more. :D Just wanted to sy hi before I run off to look at your "about me" stuff.
Enjoy the party!
Dawn

Blogger Butterfly Mama said...

Wow, your blog is awesome!!! It's nice to meet you! You are very interesting and I've got a lot more to read about you...better go get a cup of tea!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog!!! I've enjoyed reading it!!! :)

Enjoy the party!

heather

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming through with the Ultimate Blog Party, thanks for sharing your site with us! Love the layout!

Hope you are having a great time!

Blogger Becky said...

Climbing off the party train, to say Hello! and welcome to the party. What a lovely place you have here. I really enjoyed myself here, and have bookmarked your blog, and hope to return often.

Blogger Monkey Giggles said...

Great blog design...

Swinging in for the Ultimate Blog Party!!! Nice meeting ya.
Happy party week!

PARTY ON!!!

My first party favor give-away has begun. Come over when you get a chance.

Blogger The Estrogen Files said...

Party on, Excellent! I like the Mitford series, too, and was so happy to meet you! Thanks for visiting my blog today. I'm sure enjoying yours! Have some coffee for me, okay?

Blogger Aimee said...

Stopping by from the blog party and I am loving your site! I cracked up with "corn on the dog"! (we have many such mispronunciations around these parts . . .)
I'm meeting some great people, and I'm sure I'll be back!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There, so nice to meet you. Welcome to the party. You have a lovely place here. Swing by mine for food, fun, and maybe even a giggle or two. There is also a contest but ya better hurry, it ends at Noon tomorrow. Party On!

Thanks for stopping by earlier!

Blogger Wendy said...

Hello, I love your blog. The post on superstitions was GREAT! I am heading right on over to visit Riley's blog next. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Enjoy the party.

Blogger nic said...

I can already tell you're My Kind of Person. Plus, I've always wanted to stay a while in Italy. So you shall be my designated vicarious life in Southern Italy. Okay? Okay. :)

Blogger Jaime said...

You live in Italy?? I'm so jealous! I'd love to move to my family's village there! I did Christmas by myself in Florence, however, so that was something!

Here via the party, nice to meet you!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sonatrice! It's great to meet/greet/ party with you. What a magnificent blog you've here. I love the colors, and your wonderful sense of humor. Keep passing the espresso - you're doing a great job! :D

Blogger Julie said...

I enjoyed your blog. I took my then 8 year old daughter with me to get waxed once and I think I scarred her for life. She still talks about how much it must of hurt, lol. I guess she will just have to live with bushy eyebrows when she grows up. Happy partying!

Welcome everyone! Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments!

For everyone who likes the design/lay out, check out the link to zoot in the sidebar--she's the mastermind!

Regarding the title, since I've gotten some other emails about the title, I've decided maybe I should just do a post about it....

Femminista, I read a lot the first couple winters I was here, but this past one was so mild, I managed to get out and about with my doggie some more. But yes, I still read an awful lot (of course I always did). I *loved* The Eyre Affair!

Ah, and Sara, yes also loved the Mitford Series. Too warm and fuzzy to ignore!

And for the non-waxers--we must stick together! Julie, too funny about your daughter's experience--better get her a nice pair of tweezers :)

Party on everyone!

GREAT blog! I enjoyed reading your Meme. You are a good describer-er (geez...I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee).

Blogger Mich said...

Hello from Gotcha Baby! My mom's rule was only "one pre-packaged snack a day"...it makes me insane when my hubby eats, say, TWO granola bars at a time. I mean, seriously, has he no sense of order?!?! Looking forward to reading your blog some more!

Blogger Jen and family said...

Hi nice to meet you
Oh yum corn on the cob
what was that doctor thinking????
Ive never been on a diet I believe God makes us the way he does and im comfortable being me
visit me at http://jenz.wordpress.com/

Blogger Chel said...

No soda before noon?! That's insane. I can't function without a couple of Diet Cokes. Geez. :)

Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

I really admire that you are not a slave to the scale! I think you're smart not to get hooked on that! Enjoyed seeing your interesting blog. Party on!

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi Michelle! Thanks for stopping by my party; what a great blog you have here! I enjoyed looking through some of the pictures - it sure looks like you live in a beautiful town!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who needs soda when you have coffee?! Just visiting from the party! Look forward to getting to read about new people I "meet"

Blogger Pfingston said...

Mmmm - I must confess I have compleatly enjoyed scrolling around your blog, meeting you and reading about Italy especially the superstitions. I'm finding out a few of them here in Mexico since I am pregnant at this time too. Two especially - I must have a saftypin pinned onto preferably my undies to ward off the evil eye, and if there is an eclips (solar or lunar) I MUST be wearing something red or something truely bad will happen to the baby.
Both of which I disregard, prefering to live on the wild side.
It's been fun . . .and now I party on.

Blogger Tonya said...

Nice meeting you! Have a great last day partying :)

Blogger Brandie said...

Hello! It's so nice to meet you =)
Seems like you have a great sense of humor. i love the no soda before noon law! LOL!

Blogger Chrystal said...

Love your blog...especially the photos! I'll be back!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer