Here are 8 random facts about me, inspired by Sarala of Blogaway, where you'll find an awesome collection of photos--I especially love those of one of my favorite cities in the world, Chicago.
OK, back to me. Random. Eight. Go.
1. When I was younger, probably from the ages of 8-13, I wanted to be an astronaut. In the middle of those, the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded, and I wanted to be an astronaut more than ever (I'm guessing my parents *really* hoped it was just a phase).
2. I got myself a small telescope by selling cards and stationery with a company called Olympia or something like that. Anyone remember this? You got so many points for each dollar sold? The telescope was red and black and oh how I loved it so. Summer nights were the best.
3. My favorite constellation was, and is, Cassiopeia. For a class assignment, we had to invent a constellation by poking holes through a piece of black construction paper and then connecting the "stars" with chalk. I modified Cassiopeia so that it had a face to go along with what I thought looked like ears and named it "Cattiopeia."
4. Not surprisingly, it was my dream to attend Space Camp in Huntsville, Alabama.
5. Also not surprisingly, there wasn't enough stationery in the world that was going to make that happen. As compensation, my mother bought me sweatpants and a t-shirt from either the JC Penney or Sears "Space Camp" line. And I wore them. For far too long. In fact, I kind of wish they still fit me.
6. On a night that Jack Horkheimer told me there would be a shooting star show, I set up camp with a blanket and snacks in the back of my grandfather's old red and white pick-up truck--and didn't see a one.
7. In fact, I don't remember seeing any shooting stars until I came to Italy, and now I see them quite frequently--and make a wish every time.
8. I have no vivid recollection as to why I scrapped the whole astronaut idea, but it probably had to do with all the math and science. Just a guess.
Still want to know more about me? There are 100 things, another 100 things, a photo meme, and a bunch of stuff in the "meme time" and "me me me" categories.
Now here are the rules for anyone who'd like to play (I'm not tagging anyone, but if you'd like to share some secrets, I'm all eyes):
* Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
* People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
* At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
* Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
As you can see I've broken the rules, so let's go one further. Even if you only share your randomness in the comments here, you'll make me happy.
You want me to be happy, right?
OK then. In the words of my favorite Star Gazer: Keep looking up!